|   Alle Sprachen   
EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   SK   NL   PT   FI   LA   ES   HU   NO   BG   HR   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   SQ   EL   BS   |   FR   SK   IS   ES   NL   HU   RO   PL   SV   NO   RU   FI   SQ   IT   DA   CS   PT   HR   BG   LA   EO   SR   BS   TR   EL

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|New Website|About|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
Types of entries to display:     Linguistic help needed   Chat and other topics   Dictionary entries   Contribute!  

English-German Translation Forum

Hier kannst du Fragen zu Übersetzungen stellen (auf Deutsch oder Englisch) und anderen Benutzern weiterhelfen. Wichtig: Bitte gib den Kontext deiner Frage an!
Suche | Richtlinien | Neue Frage stellen
Frage:
von Windfall (GB), Last modified: 2017-11-20, 14:53  like dislike  Spam?  

We say "bank holidays" (I think this is British English only) or "public holidays" (I think they also say this in the US) to talk about gesetzliche Feiertage, and quite a few Festtage are Feiertage, so we'd probably use one of those to talk about Festtage that were also Feiertage.
If you mean days celebrated by the church that aren't necessarily Feiertage (some are, some aren't), then I think we say holy days https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/holy_day or feast days. https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/feast_day
If you specifically mean Easter and Christmas, then in the UK we tend to talk about Easter and Christmas. As far as I'm concerned, Easter covers Good Friday (which is a public holiday in the UK) to Easter Monday (also a public holiday in the UK). Depending on the context, "Christmas" can be Christmas Day itself (25 December) or Christmas Day and Boxing Day (25 and 26 December) or the whole Christmas period (probably roughly 24 Dec-1 January for non-religious people in the UK, as our public holidays at that time of year are 25 and 26 December (or the next working day(s) if these fall on a weekend) and 1 January.
We tend to avoid calling these "the holidays" or "the festive season", as these sound American (for the very good reason that these terms are used a lot in the US, due in part to its different cultural history). I would refer to Christmas as Easter as "the holidays" in context, but I would mean the "Schulferien" or the public holidays. For instance, I might ask "what are you doing for the holidays?" if either Easter or Christmas was coming up, but I would never say "Happy holidays" (unless I was speaking to an American and trying to fit in with their culture).  I can't speak for Americans, but to me "the festive season" refers specifically to the Christmas period. I think of it as roughly December as a whole, but others may have a different opinion, and it's not a term we use that much in the UK. It's more a term we hear Americans use in films and TV shows and that we also hear in some of our adverts (but it's not a term I'd be likely to use myself).
Also, "holiday(s)" simply means Urluab or Ferien or Feiertag in British English, so you would assume it meant that rather than a holy day unless further context meant it did mean that. US English typically uses "vacation" for that sort of holiday, so "holiday" may have a different meaning in US English.
 « zurück

nach oben | home© 2002 - 2024 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung