Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   IT   FR   RO   PT   HU   LA   NL   SK   HR   ES   BG   NO   FI   CS   DA   TR   PL   SR   EL   EO   |   SK   HU   FR   PL   NL   SQ   RU   NO   ES   SV   IT   DA   PT   CS   HR   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  ä ö ü ß
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
  die Zähne auseinander bekommen »
« Bewerbungstext    

English-German Translation of
urdemokratisch

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
urdemokratisch  
von Windfall (GB), 2017-09-13, 10:32  Spam?  
What's the difference between "demokratisch" and "urdemokratisch"? Does "urdemokratisch" relate at all to "grass roots"?
Grass roots = the ordinary people in a society, movement, or organization:
She spent years trying to design education policy from the grass roots up.
grass-roots
Antwort: 
von alex-k (DE), 2017-09-13, 10:52  Spam?  
Do you have an example sentence? I think people might use this term in different ways. Without any other context, I would say it's democracy without caveats, ancient Greece style. "Everybody" gets one equal vote. "Ur-" typically hints at the origin of whatever follows. Demokratisch is what we have today but it has been changed and adapted from the original.
Antwort: 
urdemokratisch  #878497
von Ivy (DE), Last modified: 2017-09-13, 10:56  Spam?  
I think what is meant here is:
fundamentally/thoroughly democratic

http://www.linguee.de/deutsch-englisch/search?source=auto&query...

or maybe: a democrat to the core

dict.cc: durch und durch
Antwort: 
von xn (GB), Last modified: 2017-09-13, 11:00  Spam?  
perhaps the beginnings of democracy in ancient times: https://m.abendblatt.de/region/article116544158/Bei-uns-herrscht-Ur...

which could mean democratic through and through yes
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2017-09-13, 11:04  Spam?  
Thanks, Ivy and Alex. Unfortunately I can't put my sentence in for non-disclosure reasons and I can't find a similar one on the Internet. Based on what the two of you have said, I'm currently thinking "thoroughly democratic", although it does still sound like "grassroots democracy" to me Wikipedia(EN): Grassroots_democracy
("Grassroots" is, as far as I can make out, generally considered a positive word in democracy, it's a kind or "power to the people"/"power to the little guy" kind of phrase). I can't use "grassroots democratic" though, as that sounds odd, I'd just have to say "grassroots" and assume people would make the same connections as me.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2017-09-13, 11:06  Spam?  
PS I think I can say, though, that my sentence definitely  doesn't actually refer to history or the beginnings of democracy or ancient civilisation, it refers to something in the present, which is being described as "urdemokratisch".
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2017-09-13, 11:07  Spam?  
Thanks, xn
Antwort: 
von lifo, 2017-09-13, 11:54  Spam?  78.34.184....
I would see "grass roots" more as "basisdemokratisch" while "urdemokratisch" is more "regarding the basics of democracy" like e.g. parliamentary debate (something which President Groper is not very fond of).
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2017-09-13, 11:59  Spam?  
Thanks, lifo
Antwort: 
archdemocratic  #878516
von Proteus-, 2017-09-13, 13:16  Spam?  194.118.54....
Antwort: 
von alex-k (DE), 2017-09-13, 13:26  Spam?  
Today, both in the UK and in Germany there are representative democracies in place. We elect a representative that makes decisions on our behalf. It's democratic but not quite like in ancient Greece. The original democratic model gave every eligible citizen a vote on every issue. That's urdemokratisch. There may be more decisions like this at the grass roots level but I would not consider them synonymous. (I know I'm simplifying both the current systems of government and history.)
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2017-09-13, 14:23  Spam?  
Thanks, alex and Proteus
Antwort: 
von lifo, 2017-09-13, 14:34  Spam?  84.44.183....
There are different possible meanings for "ur-". I would rather think [3] in wiktionary is intended. The ancient society of Athens had democracy among free people, yet the economy was largely based on slavery. Not a good role model for European countries.

https://de.wiktionary.org/wiki/ur-

https://www.mydict.com/Wort/urdemokratisch/
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), 2017-09-14, 16:36  Spam?  
lifo makes a good point. The meaning of ur- often isn't clear, especially with invented words carrying that prefix. I would think that urdemokratisch has a close relationship to the Urabstimmung, which is a referendum of sorts conducted under specific rules depending on the organization in question. The point of almost all Urabstimmungen is that as many people as possible participate in them.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2017-09-14, 17:02  Spam?  
Thanks, lifo and Micahel. 4;Michael, in retrospect, that makes sense for my context. They were holding a vote on something (a favourite food/drink, not anything political) and I imagine they wanted as many people to vote as possible.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2017 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung ausblenden